Upcoming Special Exhibitions
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
February 9 – August 16, 2020
Main Special Exhibition Space
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a vibrant, comprehensive exploration of Justice Ginsburg’s life and her numerous, often-simultaneous roles as a student, wife, mother, lawyer, judge, women’s rights pioneer, and Internet phenomenon. The exhibition tells Ginsburg’s story using a dynamic array of gallery interactives, listening stations, archival photographs and documents, historical artifacts, and contemporary art. Based on the book and Tumblr page of the same name, Notorious RBG is the first-ever museum exhibition focused solely on the judicial icon.
- A robe and jabot from RBG’s Supreme Court wardrobe.
- Home videos of RBG with her husband, Martin “Marty” Ginsburg, on their honeymoon and in the early years of their marriage.
- The official portraits of RBG and Sandra Day O’Connor, the first two women to serve on the Supreme Court, on loan from the National Portrait Gallery.
- 3D reimaginations of key places in RBG’s life, including:
- Her childhood Brooklyn apartment, where visitors can flip through the Nancy Drew books Ruth Bader loved as a girl, among other items, and get a feel for her Jewish upbringing
- The kitchen in RBG and Marty’s home, featuring some of Marty’s favorite recipes and cooking utensils
- The Supreme Court bench, where visitors can dress up in a robe and jabot and imagine making their own opinions heard
- The desk in her chambers, where visitors can view the 2018–2019 Supreme Court calendar and grasp cases to be decided in the current term.
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg is organized and circulated by the Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles, California.