We are offering both virtual and traveling teaching trunks during the 2021 – 2022 school year. The traveling teaching trunks will be available starting January 1, 2022. Virtual teaching trunks are available during the entire school year.
Virtual Trunk: Identity and Building a Positive Community (Grades K – 4)
In the virtual teaching trunk, students explore personal and cultural identity, empathy, family, and friendship through the lens of character education.
- How to be a contributing part of the local and global community
- What it takes to care of one’s self and others
- How and why to speak up for what is right
- How to speak up for those being bullied
- How to understand core values of respect, compassion, justice, civic virtue, and citizenship
- Ready-made lesson plans for teachers to use synchronously or asynchronously
- Read-aloud books and corresponding activities & questions
- And Tango Makes Three
- Carl the Complainer
- Frog and Toad Are Friends
- Video clips and activities from Make A Difference! The Harvey L. Miller Family Youth Exhibition
Our Town, Our Community (Grades 3-4)
This trunk is available beginning January 1, 2022. Students will investigate issues of immigration, cultural identity, community, and family through the threads of character education. They will explore how to be a responsible citizen, what it takes to care for themselves and others, how to speak up for those being bullied, and how to understand core values of respect, compassion, justice, civic virtue, and citizenship.
- The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq
- Owen & Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
- The Bus Ride that Changed History: The Story of Rosa Parks