How You Can Help Stop Genocide
- Continue to stay informed about the current news and situation in Darfur and the Sudan through our website,The USHMM Committee on Conscience Website, or by tracking the violence with the Mapping Initiatives through Google Earth and the United Holocaust State Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Visit Amnesty International for a letter writing guide
- Write an Op-Ed
- Write a blog post: You can increase coverage of a contemporary genocide or mass atrocity in the blogosphere by posting about related events you attend, offering comments on articles and editorials you read about the conflict, or issuing your own opinion pieces about the crisis. If you do not have your own blog, you can post blog entries on community blogs.
- Save Darfur Coalition: Alliance of over 100 diverse humanitarian and human rights organization that was formed in response to the genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan
Join an Organization
Join an organization, like Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center that empowers individuals and communities to take action to prevent and end genocide. By either joining our museum in its efforts or as a community member joining an anti-genocide group, you can become a leader in the movement to end genocide in our time. Become a Museum member.
- STAND: a Student Anti-Genocide Collation of over 600 high school and college chapters dedicated to putting an end to genocide, specifically the ongoing genocide in Darfur
- ENOUGH: joint initiative founded by the International Crisis Group and the center for American Progress, to prevent and resolve genocide and mass atrocities
Lobby the Government
- Contact your elected officials: Lobby meetings are often centered around a specific “ask” of the legislator, typically their support on a particular piece of legislation, releasing a statement or signing on to congressional letters, etc. For information about current legislative options, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call 1-800-Genocide, the first ever anti-genocide hotline that connects constituents directly to their elected officials.
- Genocide Intervention Network: Get tips for talking to your representatives; call 1-800-Genocide to hear an update on your representative’s actions and ask them to help end the genocide
- Darfur Scores: Find out how your representative is voting on issues related to genocide and lobby them to take action