How You Can Help Stop Genocide
- Continue to stay informed about current atrocities being committed around the world through USHMM Simon-Skjodt Center for the Prevention of Genocide website or by tracking the violence with the Early Warning Project.
- Visit our Take A Stand Center Website. Learn about ways you can take action.
- Create a social media campaign raising awareness about contemporary genocide or a mass atrocity. Click here for tips and tools.
- Write an Op-Ed or a Letter to an editor about contemporary genocide or a mass atrocity. Click here for tips and tools.
- Write a blog post: You can increase coverage of a contemporary genocide or mass atrocity in the blogosphere by posting about related events you attend, offering comments on articles and editorials you read about the conflict, or issuing your own opinion pieces about the crisis. If you do not have your own blog, you can post blog entries on community blogs.
Join an Organization
Join an organization, like Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center that empowers individuals and communities to take action to prevent and end genocide. By either joining our museum in its efforts or as a community member joining an anti-genocide group, you can become a leader in the movement to end genocide in our time. Become a Museum member.
- STAND: STAND is the student-led movement to end mass atrocities. At its core, our mission is to empower individuals and communities with the tools to prevent and end genocide.
- ENOUGH: joint initiative founded by the International Crisis Group and the center for American Progress, to prevent and resolve genocide and mass atrocities.
- #TogetherWeRemember: #TogetherWeRemember is a grassroots truth and reconciliation organization designed to foster collective memory and inspire collective action to prevent genocide and identity-violence.
Lobby the Government
- Contact your elected officials: Lobby meetings are often centered around a specific “ask” of the legislator, typically their support on a particular piece of legislation, releasing a statement or signing on to congressional letters, etc. Click here for tips and tools on speaking to your elected officials.
- For information about current legislative options, visit United to End Genocide Take Action website.
- Jewish World Watch: Urge your state representatives and senators to co-sponsor the Elie Wiesel Genocide and Atrocities Prevention Act.