Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center
Position Title: Operations Assistant (Non-exempt) – Part Time: 25 to 29 hours per week
Reports to: Controller
About the Museum:
Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center (IHMEC) uses the history and lessons of the Holocaust to transform the future – to equip students, educators and public visitors with knowledge, skills, and courage to take a stand for humanity. The Museum currently welcomes and touches the lives of more than 150,000 people of all ages, nationalities and cultural backgrounds each year. We empower them to become Upstanders for social justice, to speak out against intolerance and genocide, and to lead by example. We do this through cutting-edge exhibitions, innovative public programming, high-quality student and educator services, and partnerships with arts and cultural organizations, educational institutions, and law enforcement agencies.
Reporting to the Controller, the Operations Assistant is critical to the successful execution of the daily operations of the Museum and, as such, the successful candidate must be able to work efficiently and effectively in a very fast-paced and multi-faceted environment. This individual will bring poise and diplomacy to his or her interactions with colleagues, board members, donors, visitors and all other members of the IHMEC community. The position offers a competitive salary and a positive work environment.
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Answer incoming calls on the Museum’s main telephone line;
- Basic data entry/bookkeeping (entering and tracking vendor purchases);
- Process and purchase all approved expenditure requests;
- Maintain accounts payable filing system for the department;
- Process incoming and outgoing mail including the preparation of the daily deposits
- Assist with the operations of the Museum’s admissions office and gift shop, including opening, closing and changeovers of admissions office staff and volunteers;
- Maintain the General Office calendars, monitor and respond to the General Office email address
- Serve as back-up to special events management and visitor and volunteer services;
- Additional clerical and front of house support as needed.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Minimum of one years’ related work experience;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong computer skills;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Interested applicants should email or fax a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 847-967-4808.
Address correspondence to: Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center, 9603 Woods Drive, Skokie, IL 60077.