For 5th – 6th Grade
Stand Up! Student Leadership Day 2014
Wednesday, May 7 | 9:30 am – 3:00 pm
We invite you to nominate up to six of your 5th-6th grade students to attend this powerful day.
Featured Keynote Speaker: Dr. Marc Brackett
Director of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence
Join us for an inspiring day as students work together to build leadership skills and foster positive climates in their schools and communities. Students will be challenged to develop strategies to handle emotions effectively, empowering them to succeed in the classroom and as global citizens. Participants will learn how to use emotional intelligence to build self-confidence, establish healthy peer relationships, and bring one’s “best self” to challenging situations.
Deadline for nomination letters is Thursday, April 17, 2014.
A light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Nominate your student
- Students in grades 5 and 6 in accredited schools or homeschools are eligible to participate.
- Students should have shown an interest in leadership, demonstrated leadership qualities at school or in their communities, or shown an interest in creating social awareness.
- Students should be willing to actively participate in discussion and activities, meet new people, and become student ambassadors for IHMEC when they return to school or their respective communities.
- Students must stay for the entire day, 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- A teacher or administrator must accompany the students so that there is follow-through back at the school site. (Limit 2 teachers/chaperones per school.)
As the nominating teacher, please prepare and submit (via your school email address) a letter nominating up to 6 students who you feel best exemplify the above guidelines. The letter should also include a clear explanation of why you feel the nominated students should participate in the day.
- Due to space and program limitations, we cannot accept more than 6 student nominations per school.
- A maximum of 6 students per school are permitted. Please consult with your fellow colleagues before submitting your nomination letter.
- Email your nomination letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presenting Sponsor of Student Leadership Days:
Additional support provided by The Jacob J. Fink Charitable Foundation, The Slomo and Cindy Silvian Foundation, Inc and an Anonymous Foundation.
Additional Endowment support provided by The Harvey L. Miller Family Foundation Program Endowment Fund.