The overall goal of the operations internship is to gain an understanding and gather experience “back-of-house” within museum operations. This unpaid internship enables participants to gain skills within an office environment as well as within the non-profit sector while spending time throughout the day in the museum setting.
The Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center is dedicated to preserving the legacy of the Holocaust by honoring the memories of those who were lost and by teaching universal lessons that combat hatred, prejudice and indifference. The museum fulfills its mission through the exhibition, preservation and interpretation of its collections and through education programs and initiatives that foster the promotion of human rights and the elimination of genocide.
This is an unpaid internship with flexible hours.
Duties may include the following:
- Assist with events planning for rental of museum space
- Assist with visitor and volunteer services
- Assist with the opening and closing of the admissions office
- Assist with group tour planning
- Assist Deputy Director with special projects
- Scanning, copying and filing of operations documents
- Serve as a back-up to the receptionist answering incoming calls
- Other duties on an as-needed basis which may include clerical or research-based functions
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible to an ever-changing request for the intern’s time throughout the day
- Willingness to move throughout the museum to various areas including staff offices, admissions office, retail shop, etc.
Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center located at 9603 Woods Drive; Skokie, IL 60077
Flexible during museum administrative office hours (Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm)
Available for Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer Terms
This is an unpaid internship position.
The Museum can work with your university should your university grant credit towards internships.