Teaching Trunk Program
“The students found the books, videos, posters, and maps helpful to their understanding. As a teacher for over 30 years, the unit on the Holocaust is, I know, the most important work I do. Thank you on behalf of my students for helping us learn valuable lessons from the past.”
Middle School Teacher, Walworth, WI
IHMEC’s literature-based teaching trunk program provides K – 12 educators with a wide array of resources for classroom units on character education, human rights, the Holocaust and/or genocide. Each trunk allows educators to create meaningful, age/grade appropriate lessons employing award – winning fiction, non-fiction, historical reference materials, as well as DVDs and teaching posters. The focus of each trunk has been carefully developed to align with State and National Learning Standards, including Common Core Standards.
- K – 4th grade: Our Town, Our Community
- 5th – 6th grade: Memory, History, Culture
- 7th – 8th grade: Historical Perspectives Through Different Voices
- 9th – 12th grade: Investigating Human Behavior
- 7th – 12th grade: On Our Watch: Genocide and Human Rights
For further information and detail on each trunk click here
Inside the Trunks
- Reference and resources materials
- Classroom sets (30 copies)
- Literature Circle sets
- Read –aloud titles
- Curriculum Framework Binder*
Please note: Trunks do not contain historical artifacts or artifact reproductions.
*The curriculum framework binder contains an introduction to each trunk; synopses of select books and films with rationale, discussion questions, and activities; additional resources; and professional readings.
Photos courtesy of IHMEC Collection